(General / Speciality)
Full Marks: 80
Pass Marks: 32
Time: 3 hours
The figures in the margin indicate full marks for the questions.
Fill in the blanks: 1x4=4
(a) (i) UNEDIFACT is an _____ standard.
(ii) Intersection of row and column in a worksheet is known as _____.
(iii) Joystick is an _____ device.
(iv) SMTP stands for _____.
(b) Write True or False: 1x4=4
(i) Second-generation computers used vacuum tubes as the main components of CPU.
(ii) RAM is non-volatile in nature.
(iii) Compiler translates a program written in high-level language into machine language.
(iv) Records or tuples are the horizontal rows of information in a database file.
2. Write briefly on: 4x4=16
(a) Advantages of fifth-generation computers.
(b) Any four functions of an operating system.
(c) Client / server concept in computer network.
(d) Linkages of data files in a database system.
3. (a) “Today’s business is fully dependent on Information Technology.” Explain the statement. 12
(b) Discuss the role of Information Technology on the following fields: 4x3=12
(i) Education Sector
(ii) Manufacturing Industry
(iii) Print and Electronic Media
4. (a) What is meant by EDI standard? Discuss about the different EDI standards followed by trading partners in transmitting business data. 2+9=11
(b) Discuss briefly about the different categories of software. What are utility software’s? Discuss their functions. 4+7=11
5. (a) (i) Differentiate between sorting and indexing of data in a database system. How does indexing help in easy and quick access of data from a database?
(ii) How can linking of data files help in eliminating redundancy from a database system? 6+5=11
(b) What is a database system? Discuss briefly about the components of a database system. 2+9=11
6. (a) How will you do the following in MS-Excel? 2+2+2+2+3=11
(i) Text wrapping
(ii) Data sorting
(iii) Number formatting
(iv) Filling cells automatically
(v) Inserting chart.
(b) Write the necessary steps for performing the following in MS-Word: 2+3+3+3=11
(i) Printing a particular page of a document
(ii) Changing the case of a particular word.
(iii) Finding and replacing text
(iv) Using bullets and numbering
7. (a) What is meant by Internet Protocols? Discuss the different protocols used in Internet. 1+10=11
(b) “Tally has brought significant changes to the accounting processes in business sector.” Do you agree? Explain with reasons. 11
(INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY PRACTICES IN BUSINESS)
1. (a) Write True or False: 1x4=4
(i) Scanner is an input device.
(ii) FTP stands for File Transmission Protocol.
(iii) EDI stands for Electronic Data Interchange.
(iv) Secondary memory is no-volatile.
(b) Fill in the blanks: 1x4=4
(i) EBCDIC stands for _____.
(ii) 1055 KB = _____ bytes.
(iii) ASCII stands for _____.
(iv) DBMS stands for _____.
2. (a) Define Software. Explain its types.
(b) What is RAM? Differentiate between SDRAM and DDR.
(c) Convert (35)10 into binary equivalent.
(d) Convert (1101)2 into decimal equivalent.
3. (a) What is meant by Information Technology? Explain its features and impact on business. 5+6=11
(b) Explain the impact of Information Technology on Educational and Social environment. 11
4. (a) Differentiate between Primary and Secondary memories. Describe some of the storage device used in computer. 4+7=11
(b) Explain software and hardware. Discuss the functions of system utilities. 4+7=11
5. (a) (i) Convert (36)10 into its binary equivalent.
(ii) Convert (674)8 into decimal equivalent.
(iii) Convert (1101111.011)2 into decimal equivalent. 4x3=12
(b) Discuss the components of a computer. Explain the generations of computer with its basic features. 5+7=12
6. (a) (i) Define Computer Networks. Explain its types.
(ii) What is Internet? Explain its uses in business. 5+6=11
(b) Define Electronic Data Interchange. Discuss the working of EDI. 4+7=11
7. (a) Discuss about five different types of topologies in computer network. 11
(b) (i) Define Protocol. Explain different protocols used in Internet.
(ii) Explain the functions of Application Software’s. 2+4+5=11