Full Marks: 80
Pass Marks: 32
1. Select the right alternative: 1x4=4
(a) Upward flow aid downward flow of messages constitute
(i) Vertical Communication
(ii) Horizontal Communication
(iii) Diagonal Communication
(b) The first and foremost objective of any communication is
(i) To Inform
(ii) To Motivate
(iii) To facilitate decision-making
(c) For successful presentation, the first stage is
(i) Taking control of the audience
(ii) Exercising self-control
(iii) Preparation of the material
(d) For effective listening, it is necessary to have
(i) Positive attitude
(ii) Ability to concentrate
(iii) Positive attitude and ability to concentrate
2. Find out which of the following statements are true or false: 1x4=4
(a) The vertical channel of communication is used much more frequently in most organisations than the horizontal channel.
(b) Effective speaking rests on three pillars – verbal, visual and vocal.
(c) Kinesics is the spatial nonverbal language.
(d) Data transmission through e-mail is both instantaneous and cost-effective.
3. Write answers to the following questions in about 100 words each: 4x4=16
(a) Write a note on the importance of feedback in the communication process.
(b) List any four physical barriers to communication of messages at transmission level.
(c) Explain briefly the principles of effective speech.
(d) Account for the importance of listening to customers’ complaint in business organisations.
4. (a) What do you understand by the term “Communication”? Briefly describe the process of communication. 3+8=11
(b) Enumerate any four purposes of communication. Give reasons for the growing importance of communication in modern business organisations. 4+7=11
5. (a) Describe briefly the communication network of modern business organisations. 10
(b) Enumerate briefly five barriers to written communication and five barriers to oral communication. 5+5=10
6. (a) What do you mean by three-stage process of presentation? Account for the importance of the vocal and visual aspects in making presentation effective. 3+8=11
(b) Differentiate between “a speech” and “a presentation”. Write briefly about the characteristics of good speech. 2+9=11
7. (a) What is meant by body language? Write an illustrative note on postures, gestures, attire and appearance as facets of body language. 3+8=11
(b) Distinguish between “Listening” and “Hearing”. Give reasons for the importance of listening skill in business communication. 2+9=11
8. (a) What are the advantages of using internet in modern business communication? Describe various steps to be followed for sending e-mail through Internet. 5+8=13
(b) In what ways do cultural differences across different regions and countries manifest themselves? Suggest five tips for developing intercultural communication skills. 8+5=13