Importance of Written Communication skill:
Business Writing vs Other Writing (See Below)
Written communication has great significance in today’s business world. It is an innovative activity of the mind. Effective written communication is essential for preparing worthy promotional materials for business development. Effective writing is pre-requisite of existence in modern set up and success in any business or profession. Not all successful persons are good writers, but generally a close correlation between success and effective written exists.
To be successful in any field, one should master the skill and art of expressing oneself clearly and precisely through written message. Written message whether on letter, report, memo, etc. conveys a lot about writer’s personality. Well written and well executed message not only helps the other person to understand the purpose of conversation but also enhances the writer’s image. The importance of written communication can be discussed under the following head:
1. Easy to preserve: The documents of written communication are easy to preserve. Oral and non-verbal communication cannot be preserved.
2. Easy presentation of complex matter: Written communication is the best way to represent any complex matter easily and attractively.
3. Permanent record: The documents of written communication act as a permanent record. When it is needed, important information can be easily collected from the preserved documents.
4. Prevention of wastage of time and money: Written communication prevents the waste of money and time. Without meeting with each other the communicator and communicate can exchange their views.
5. Accurate presentation: Through the documents of the written communication top executive can present the information more accurately and clearly. As it is a legal document everybody takes much care does draft it.
6. Use as a reference: If it is needed, written communication can be used as future reference.
7. Delegation of authority: Written communication can help the authority to delegate the power and authority to the subordinate. It is quite impossible to delegate power without a written document.
8. Longevity: Written document can be preserved for a long time easily. That is why; all the important issues of an organization should be back and white.
9. Effective communication: Written communication helps to make communication effective. It is more dependable and effective than those of other forms of communication.
10. Maintaining image: Written communication helps to maintain the images of both the person and the organization. It also protects the images of the company or organization.
11. Proper information: It is a proper and complete communication system. There is no opportunity to include any unnecessary information in a written document.
12. Less distortion possibility: In this communication system information is recorded permanently. So, there is less possibility of distortion and alteration of the information.
13. No opportunity to misinterpret: there is any opportunity to misinterpret the information or messages of written communication.
14. Controlling tool: Written communication can help to control the organizational activity. The written document may be used as a tool for controlling.
15. Easy to verify: The information and messages that are preserved can be verified easily. If there arises any misunderstanding any party can easily verify the information.
16. Others: Clear understanding, Legal document, Acceptability, Reduction of risk, Creating confidence, Easy circulation, Wide access or coverage etc.
Business letter vs. other letters
1. Nature: Business letter or commercial letter it is impersonal and universal in nature. But other letters may be fully or partly personal in nature.
2. Purpose: Business letter is exchanging various business related issues and information. But other letters are mainly exchanging personal or family related affairs and information.
3. Scope: Business letter scope is wide and contains various types of business information. But Scope of other letters is limited and contains only personal information.
4. Structure: Business letter follow officially recognized structure. But other letters may or may not follow any recognized structure.
5. Formality: Business letter it maintains formal rules and procedure. But other letters may be informal.
6. Size: Business letter generally it is concise in size and avoids irrelevant matter. But other letters may be concise or large in size.
7. Types: Business letter it can be categorized differently. But other letters generally cannot be categorized.
8. Language: Business letter language should be easy and simple. But other letter’s language may easy, poetic, emotional etc.
9. Copy: Business letter copy of business letter is preserved. But Copy of other letters may or may not be preserved.
10. Method: Business letter it uses direct and persuasive method. But other letters may use only direct method.