1. State whether the following statements are true or false: 1x4=4
a) The use of business jargon is the main characteristic of a business letter.
b) A sales letter is like an advertisement.
c) The style of a memo is like that of a report.
d) The resume to be enclosed with an application letter need not give all the details of academic qualifications, achievements and experience.
2. State the right alternative: 1x2=2
(a) A sales letter should be
(b) A participant in a group discussion should
(i) Dominate the discussion
(ii) Make personal remarks
(iii) Listen to the views of others intently
3. Substitute a concise and suitable word for the following expressions (e.g. Beg to inform - inform) 1x2=2
(a) On a few occasions
(b) Wish to suggest
4. Write answer to the following question in about 100 words each: 4x4=16
(a) What are the essentials of an effective business letter?
(b) Mention any four important points to be borne in mind while writing a request letter.
(c) Give some tips for meritorious performance in a group discussion.
(d) Distinguish between proposals and reports.
5. What is a memo? How does it differ from a business letter? 14
What is the significance of writing skills in modern business messages?
6. What is a resume? What are the characteristics of a good resume? 14
Write a letter on behalf of an educational institution to Ashoka furniture, Delhi, requesting a quotation for steel furniture for office use. Request them to clarify all the terms of sale. Also draft a suitable reply for the same.
7. “The basic requirements of a report are clarity, conciseness, continuity and objectivity.” Explain each of these in detail. 14
Write a letter of application in response to the following advertisement:
Applications are invited for the post of an accounts officer. The candidate should be an M.Com or a Chartered accountant and should have at least five years experience in costing, budgeting and compilation of accounts. Salary in the scale of Rs. 8,500 – 16,000 plus dearness allowance, house rent allowance, provident fund, gratuity and bonus. Age between 28 and 35 years. Apply within 15 days to the Managing Director, Healthwell food Products Limited, 63, Joshi Marg, New Delhi.
8. What is an interview? What kind of preparation is required by the candidate appearing for a job interview? 14
Discuss the guidelines for an interviewer in smooth and effective conduct of an interview.